Sunday, April 25, 2010

Dying so others might live...

I love steaks. I a red meat kind of man... and nothing is like a big steak that you cooked to perfection yourself!! By the way, yes I know how to cook-- not just grill, cook...
But anyway... to my point... on my way home earlier today I saw some cattle in the field. It got me thinking... They are sitting there grazing, and not knowing their future or their fate. They are not, I am sure, aware that their fate is to be loaded on a big truck and taken to a place where they go in 4-footed living creatures and come out as steaks. All of this so we can sustain life, and enjoy casual dining experiences...
Which brings me to my point-- Cattle-- along with hogs and sheep-- are born to die. In a similar way, Jesus was born to die. Unlike the livestock I mentioned earlier though, His death isn't just a temporary 2-hour vehicle for us to enjoy a restaurant with family and friends, His flesh will give us eternal life!! He said if we eat his flesh and drink his blood, we will have eternal life!! His body was broken so we could be made whole. His blood was spilled so ours didn't have to be. He willingly separated his body from his soul and spirit to win our freedom when he rose again!!
Jesus Christ was the Lamb of God... sent to the slaughter to be our eternal Passover Lamb. Unlike the cattle/steaks we have today though, he KNEW what was coming, and despite his misgvings in his humanity, he did what he knew had to be done. And you know what-- He did it for us to be reconciled to God. After his humiliation, God gave him the highest honor-- of the adoration of every person in the world!!
So remember next time you eat that T-bone... there was another one who was born to die so we might live... Eternally!!

No comments:

Post a Comment