I am taking some time off of my usual ramblings to discuss Tim Tebow... quarterback, college legend, and all-around fantastic Christian man. Tim Tebow was drafted by the Denver Broncos in the first round last night... and despite some rumblings about his NFL-readiness, he gets a chance to show what he can do. I have a good friend who is a Denver Broncos fan, and as I write this, I can just imagine what her thoughts are...
But this is less about the Broncos than this is about Tebow. A quarterback who could have had anything-- or anyONE-- he wanted-- and didn't partake. (In other words, he is the anti-Roethlisberger.) A Christian who is the son of missionairies, at the number 1 party school in the nation-- the University of Florida-- with party weather 24/7/365. A leader in and out of the locker room. And most of all, a man who put Christ in the headlines-- favorably.
Isn't it ironic that Tim Tebow-- the college quarterback who did it right-- would wind up in the same state that was home to coach Mike McCartney (I apologize if I missed on the first name...), the founder of Promise Keepers. How is it ironic? Good question-- McCartney founded Promise Keepers in part because his college quarterback DIDN'T get it right. The late Sal Aunese fathered a child with McCartney's daughter... leading the Coach to take stock... that stock led to Promise Keepers, which I would guess Tebow has had an affiliation with.
Can Tebow make it in Denver? His new coach Mike McDaniel thinks he can-- he is sold on Tebow. He's not the only one-- many others are also sold on Tebow, many aren't. If Tebow does make it, he could be another Roger Staubach-- remember him? Another solid Christian who led the "America's Team" Cowboys of the 1970's... A man not afraid to share his Christian faith AND hit Drew Pearson and Golden Richards with touchdown passes...
So... can Tim Tebow be the arrow that hits Denver's hearts? The jury is still out... but one thing is for sure... Tebow has put Christ in the headlines... and in that way, Tebow indeed has become the next Staubach. May it continue for the next 20 years plus....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Great blog, Tom! It is good to know there are atheletes out there who have a heart for God. FYI my mom is a great Staubach fan.
ReplyDeleteLove,
Diane